Tuesday 27 November 2018

The Ear Hustle Podcast

Today I had originally planned to write about some other topic. But then, that could wait. I just had to share about this unique podcast that i recently came to know about, and listened to just one episode. The podcast is named Ear hustle and it "brings you the stories of life inside prison, shared and produced by those living it".

I am a very big fan of podcasts, and my love for them is supplementing, and now-a-days even competing with, my love of reading. The best part about podcasts is that I can listen to them as i am washing dishes, or ironing my clothes, which I can't do if I am reading. So, in that sense, my "listening" time has definitely superseded my "reading" time.

Well, coming back to Ear Hustle. Let me tell you the big news first. The governor of California has commuted the sentence of Earlonne Woods, who is a co-producer of the podcast, and serving a 31 years-to-life imprisonment for attempted robbery. In his letter, the governor said Woods “has clearly shown that he is no longer the man he was when he committed this crime. He has set a positive example,” Brown wrote. “Through his podcast, [Woods] has shared meaningful stories from those inside prison.” 

Woods has already served 21 years of his sentence. But now he will be a free man, and continue to work as an employee on the podcast, also bringing stories about resuming his life outside the prison. I feel so good about this. And in the one episode that I listened to just today, I could understand why the podcast became so successful. It shows how the prisoners are also just normal humans, having same feelings about most things in life, and as the prisoners share their intimate feelings about various topics, it's hard not to empathise with them.

I have subscribed to this one. And let me tell you, that I am very choosy about the podcasts that I listen to. I collect them like gems, choosing only the ones i can truly appreciate, and connect with.

No comments:

Post a Comment